Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

F&*$, the zipper busted

Another year beginning at Cardiff in just a few days, and I've started the marathon packing sessions. I'm one of those people that pack and am ready to go about a week before I departure and then repack the suitcase maybe 17 times. Luckily this round only required 4 repacking attempts. (And only one suitcase change) Well, this year I didn't have time to do that. Mostly because I decided that it was more important to run around and see the people who matter to me. From going to Colorado, to Harrisonburg, to Williamsburg, to Northern VA (all over the place) over just a few days.Man I'm exhausted! It really is such a shame I didn't get to Florida, but I will try my hardest to come see you Meg Ward, I mean Ahrnsbrak. But we must power through to work on the packing...

With only 2 suitcases, because 3 is just too much to handle for my freaky small hands, and 50 pounds of stuff in each... I just don't know how I do it! It is so much harder than you would think. There is always something that I'm forgetting, and it'll just be a shame when I get to the airport and realize I don't have it. It's funny how you forget how much crap you have before you try to fit your whole life into a suitcase.

Example A: Who knew I had 27 pairs of shoes in the US alone. I know for a fact I left at least another 5 in Cardiff in storage. This is crazy talk. And how often do I actually wear these shoes? Well often enough that half of them are too beat up for me to justify bringing them. But man, I love shoes. Anyone who came to my house in Copper Beech at JMU would know about my shoe closet... it was a closet in the hall between the two rooms on the top floor that had 5 shelves full of shoes. I think I need to start getting rid of these shoes, or just stop buying them. Although practical flats are needed, so New Look when I get back :)

Example B: Movies, everyone knows I keep the majority of my movies in a giant CD case. It makes sense for travel and what not. But recently I've discovered that this CD case just isn't big enough! I don't even bring my seasons of TV with me. And when I get the Harry Potter DVD box set or the Lost complete collection eventually I'll really have to get a new one. But luckily I only am bringing 5 extra out of the 150 I own. To give you some perspective: I'm pretty sure I left at least 15 there and the 100 in my case so only leaving behind 30 movies... not bad I say, not bad.

Well the fun will soon begin when I actually carry these suitcases to the car and getting them down the stairs will be a challenge in and of itself.  I'm pretty sure at least one of these bags is overweight, and hopefully I can make the lovely airline worker at the airport feel sorry for me and not charge me for it. I guess it's time to turn on that southern charm and smile really pretty and ask many questions about their day and how things are going for them and "oh I would really appreciate it if you could do this for me please ma'am." Got to work that charm while I can still say I'm Southerner.

Long story short, I guess what I really need to keep in mind is just to check for my Passport, medicine, umbrella, and my cards before I walk out the door and the rest is up to what I threw on my floor before I started the packing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment